The Ballston Lake Fire Department was formed in 1915 after fires destroyed the farms of Peter Banta and Clark Smith. Citizens banded together and began fighting fires using barrels of water hauled on a small truck. A chemical fire wagon was soon purchased from the Childs Co. for $350 and stored in Eagan’s barn.
The Childs has a forty gallon tank of water that would be mixed with baking soda. A sealed container of sulfuric acid could be dumped into the tank to create the necessary pressure to push the water through a hose. Additional water in milk cans and a ladder were carried
on a truck. The department still owns the Childs.
The first firehouse was built in 1918, paid for with funds raised
by subscriptions and a “Fireman’s Supper”. This building was
moved to Lake Hill Road in 1924 and is currently
a private garage.
The Department was incorporated in 1918,
and a Fire District was formed in 1924.
The department’s first motorized
apparatus was a Foamite-Childs
Protection Engine purchased in
1926 for $6085.